So I love oat meal, whether its just plain or the usual cinnamon. But here are some great ideas for “spicing” up your oatmeal so you don’t have the same boring bowl all the time! =) ……… and you’ll get some great nutrients, save some calories and your taste buds will be happy campers.
- First choose how your going to prepair it!
Water is a great option to keep calories down (this is my usual “go to”)
1% milk will have more creamier effect rather than the skim milk.
Almond milk and coconut milk can be great for adding a little flavor as well. (I like the vanilla kind)
Juice, now this might sound weird , but its actually not bad. Make sure you get 100% juice so you wont be adding a shit-ton of sugar and it will be adding some extra vitamins too! I like apple juice with the apples and cinnamon kind! YUMMI *note: some juices are very strong so you might want to do half juice and half water.
- NOW, for the fun part! TOPPINGS!
- Dried fruits – you can either add them after making the oatmeal, so they are kinda crunchy. Or add them when your making it and they will plump up and get all juicy (cranberries, cherries, blueberries, mango, coconut, papaya ect)
- Peanut Butter and Almond Butter
- Fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, banana, black berries, raspberries, pear, apples, cuties, mango, pomegranate, ect. )
- Dark chocolate chips
- Greek yogurt or Almond milk yogurt
- REAL maple syrup
- crumbled gram crackers
- Canned pumpkin in the fall is awesome! add some cinnamon too .. mmmm
- Sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- Chia seed
- Protein Powders
- Jam – or use warmed up frozen berries
- Chopped nuts. Almonds, Walnuts, cashews.
- Dried apricots
- I have heard of people putting an egg over the top too… never tried but but it might be worth giving it a whirl!