Whether its adding nutrients, helping achieve a goal (like clearer skin, or digestion issues), or maybe just taste smoothies are a great way to do that. Plus they usually fill you up pretty well too!! So here are my little tips on conjuring up the BEST smoothie possible! =)
- The fresher the better! Try to use fresh fruits and veggies but I understand the convenience of the frozen ones too. Sometimes I just pour some mixed fruits and almond milk in a bender and call it a day. LOL
- Try to go organic with your smoothies, that way you avoid all the pesticides.
- You can use all kinds of things besides milk or water. I personally love the vanilla almond milk since it makes it sweeter but you can also use things like tea. There are tons of teas that are herbal remedies for common aches and pains too, adding those herbs from the tea will only help with all the nutrients from the veggies and fruit as well.
- Don’t add sugar! Usually of the smoothie is fruit based you wont need any sweetening at all but if its a green smoothie, they sometimes get a little bitter. Instead of sugar or the common “fake sugar” (sweet n low, Splenda) DONT USE FAKE SUGAR ITS WAY WORSE FOR YOU!!! Use Stevia (which is derived from a plant), or honey, or Agave Nectar (also from a plant) .
- I love adding healthy fats to my smoothie! Things like Chia seeds, hemp seed, flax seed, and even avocado!
- Adding protein powders can also boost up the protein (obviously) but it can help you build muscle and stay fuller longer. My favorite ones are Sun Warrior or Vega Brand.
- Add the “Super-foods”. Things you wouldn’t normally think of seem to keep things interesting for me personally when I make my smoothies. Goji Berries, Coconut Oil, Maca Powder, Matcha, Acai Berries, Kale, Cacao.
- Using frozen bananas instead of ice cubes can be fun, your smoothie almost comes out like a “milk shake” in a way. Very thick. OR get creative, freeze some coconut water and use those as the ice cubes =)