So you may be “eating healthy and a clean diet” but if your overdoing it, it could have a negative effect. And may be a reason why you’re not loosing weight at the speed you may like or should be. So here are some tips and tricks I personally have used and/or heard of to help with knowing what’s the right portion, how much do you really need.
- Eat off of smaller plates. Even if you put that same amount of food onto the smaller plate, our eyes are bigger than our stomachs. So eventually, your portion will become slightly smaller over time. Do the same with bowls and drinks. (ideally water should be your main drink, if it gets boring, add some fruit to your water or have some unsweetened tea)
- Separate your food on your plate, I like half my plate to be veggies 1/4 protein and 1/4 a starch. That way you get used to the look of normal portions. Also when you go our to eat at restaurants, they usually give you double the amount of what you should be eating, cut that meal in half and save the other half for another night.
- Turn the TV and other distractions off! You don’t realize how much mindless eating you do when your distracted. shut off the TV and actually focus on the meal in front of you. Enjoy it. Have dinner with family, a date, a friend… anyone besides the TV.
- Keep the foods that you can splurge on in plain sight. (Dinner salad, veggies, fruits) Set those on the table and keep the other foods like the potatoes on the stove top during dinner, the more you get used to seeing it right there all convenient, the more you’ll be inclined to grab it over something else, say the potatoes.
- Also just avoid second helpings in general. Like I said above its ok to gorge on the salad and stuff but usually seconds consist of the potatoes and meat foods. They “sound” good, but are you really still hungry? Drink 1 glass of water between getting a second helping and consider if your truly hungry. If the salad in front of you doesn’t look appealing but a huge dollop of potatoes sounds good, your not hungry. (its most likely a habit you need to break)
- Why are we still drinking sugary drinks when we KNOW they are horrible for us? LOL . Drink some water, tea, coffee with your dinner. There are a few natural sodas out there, but look at what your actually drinking and think if its really something you should be putting in your body. If you must- some natural sodas to help wean you off of all the soda drinking (note: I said wean you off) include: Reds Ginger Brews, Boylans, Hansons, Fizzy Lizzy, Steaz, Izzie, Jones, G-U-S, Oogave, Zevia.
- Make your own pre-packaged foods. when you buy a bag of veggie chips, don’t you just open the bag up and stick your hand in and begin munching…. yes. Were all guilty of it. Instead buy the little snack size sandwich bags and look at the serving size and make your own portion controlled snacks to go. Great for you when your running late, on your way to a ball game, concert, picnic, have kids, want just a light snack… you name it!
- I know this may seem stupid and tedious at first, but buy a scale to help you measure and weight your foods when you first start off.it will be really time consuming and annoying but pretty soon you’ll just be able to eyeball the portions naturally. I got a food scale at my local Bed Bath and Beyond for like $15 bucks. Not bad at all… I’m sure they have fancier ones, but for what your going to be doing, a average one will work just fine.
HOPE THIS HELPS! =D
- Eat smart: Tips for healthy dining out (skinnyfatsky.wordpress.com)
- SlimPlate System Revolutionizes Portion Control and Weight Loss (prweb.com)
- Vacation and the Eating is OH SO EASY (healthyoptionsbuffaloblog.com)
- Give It Up (And Lose Weight, Too) (melindahinsonneely.com)
- Holiday – Eating – No Guilty! (lookatme3.wordpress.com)
- Picky Eater Problem Solved! (parentcoachatlanta.com)
- Portion Distortion (33daychallenge.wordpress.com)
- I eat food…. (thehealthyhousewives.wordpress.com)