Haha, its kinda funny, I used to HATE onion … like loath status. But now I add them to everything!!! Love onion now, crazy how taste buds can change once you change up your diet! Ok so … on the benefits!!!
One of my favorite things about onions is that it can enhance the flavor of any dish or meal you prepare without adding too many calories. You virtually add a whole onion to a dish if you wanted and it really wont make a difference when it comes to calorie count.
Some of the things they are known for include:
- Awesome taste and adding flavor (obviously)
- Lowers cholesterol levels
- Decreases inflammation because they carry phytonutrients.
- Improves blood vessels
- Prevents many cancerous cells from forming.
- Contain a good amount of vitamin C, Fiber and foliate.
- Also provides a good source of vitamin A, so it will help your skin glow.
- Tons of cardiovascular benefits.
- Helps with blood sugar balance.
- Help prevent bacterial infections.
There are tons of ways your can prepare an onion, whether you want to sauté it up and serve with some peppers as a side dish, or add it into meals like lasagna and chili.
* Tip: To avoid tears when slicing, put onion in fridge right before you plan out your meal.
Red and green onions are great raw, where as I find yellow and white onions the best for sautéing.
Onions typically keep for a good month before they go bad so store in a cool dry place. Placing onions near other fruits and veggies can cause the fruits to decay faster, to store them by themselves.