Eggs have been given a kind of bad rep because they are high in cholesterol and fat. But if you take out that yolk you save about 50 calories alone, along with no cholesterol or fat at all. Mission accomplished!
Even though you’re taking out the yolks, the protein from the egg white alone is still a good and high quality protein. The egg white contains the nutrients along with amino acids your body needs to function through out the day.Yes, you need fats in your diet to be healthy but make those fats come from things like nuts, seeds and healthy oils preferably.
Egg whites are very low in calories as well, an average egg contains around 70 calories per egg, cut out the yolk and you cut out about 55 calories leaving you with anywhere around 15 calories total per egg white (give or take the size of the egg). So with weight management, egg whites are beneficial because you’re still getting all the nutrients you need without the extra fat and calories. Even if you were to make an omelet with 2 whole eggs and one egg white your still saving calories… and this might be an easier transition to eating healthier.
- For all of you back to schoolers…eat a good breakfast! (oshkoshfoodcoop.com)
- How Much Protein In An Egg White (bestsuccessway.wordpress.com)
- Egg White Omelette with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes (therapybread.com)
- The Egg Project – Natures Yoke Pastured Eggs (urbanpaleochef.com)
- The great egg debate: Are egg yolks good or bad for your health? (foxnews.com)
- Egg White Scrub (instylefashionone.com)
- The ‘killer’ whites and yolks (thenotsocreativecook.wordpress.com)