A basic multivitamin is a good thing to add to any diet plan. Even if your eating healthy and taking care of yourself, you still can be lacking some nutrients that your body needs to function properly everyday. But when strolling down the multivitamin isle, you can be a little overwhelmed at trying to find the best one. Which brand do you choose? Do you choose one that’s a pill form, gummy form? Do you choose one that’s meant for a man or woman? There are a lot of questions to ask yourself.
1. Why you should take one- well there is the obvious fact that your diet on some days is going to lack all the nutrients your supposed to get, its almost inevitable unless you seriously carry around a bag full of fruits and veggies with you all day everywhere you go.. lol. Plus it will make you feel better and you’ll most likely have more energy and function better too.
2. What to look for-
- Look at the label and see what’s included in the vitamin. All the ingredients are listed, make sure that the amounts will work for your diet, you don’t want too much vitamin c because you’ll just end up peeing it out. (sorry for being so blunt- but its true) If your diet already consist of a lot of vitamin A already, your not going to need a vitamin that’s high in it. Get my drift?
- On the flipside, don’t overdo it either, you don’t need a multivitamin that has like 120% of the DRV (Daily Recommended Values). Too much can either make your body sick (headaches, nausea, etc.. ) and also can be toxic towards the body.
- Shoot for basic nutrition – B1, B2, B5,B6,B9, B12, vitamin C, Vitamin A, vitamin D, potassium, iodine, zinc, magnesium…
- Choosing the ones geared toward sex and age. Woman’s multi is geared toward the baby making years. Men’s are geared toward the basics and 50+ multi is obviously geared towards that age, your bodies ability to absorb certain nutrients slows down, so they may have some more of a certain vitamin in theirs.
Choosing the best form is a personal thing, whether you find it easier to swallow basic pills, taking a gummy or even using a powder form, you have to choose the best one for you.
* be sure to check expiration dates, they don’t last forever.
* make sure you take it with food to avoid getting that horrible nauseous feeling!!
- What you need to know about multivitamins (foxnews.com)
- Vitamin Buying Guide (walmart.com)
- Nutrition Kids Need to Grow (plumorganics.com)
- Best Multivitamin On the Market For Adults (viewpoints.com)
- The Truth About Multivitamin Tablets (mytechnologyworld9.blogspot.com)
- Good Food Health Vitamin Intake (livinghealthywithnan.com)
- Do Multivitamins Do More Harm Than Good? (miami.cbslocal.com)
- Knowing Your Supplements (howaboutthemapplesblog.com)