So I just got done reading Eat to live by Joel Fuhrman M.D. and I must say the more he dug into the concepts of how were “supposed to be eating” rather than the Standard American Diet (SAD) the more it made sense. His main focus is eating foods that are high density in nutrients is ideal. When the ratio of nutrients to calories is high you will not only lose weight but crave low nutrient foods like sugars, sweets, bad fats and high calorie foods.
Health = nutrients/ calories
His research is very well put together and coming from all different sources (and even some other books I’ve read) , not just 1 or 2 like most books use when researching a topic. He is basically suggesting that veganism is the ideal when filled with mainly veggies and fruits, and limiting the grains. Cutting out all processed junk and man made foods and eating as organic and from the earth as you possibly can. He does realize that this diet is not for every one and does say to try to stay on track 90% of the time with a 10% cheat to add in any dairy, meat, or some processed foods because … realistically its very hard to be “super healthy” in this world today because of how the American Diet is and everything that is around us.
But on a side note you don’t have to count anything like calories, carbs or anything if you follow his guidelines so … it will make it easy since there really isn’t any “thinking” to do … you wont be hungry on this diet because you can eat as much veggies as you want and they are high in nutrients so you’ll be fuller faster and longer throughout the day. And another side note, the pounds will naturally fall off and stay off when you eat this way.
There are also benefits of disease fighting components within this diet as well. He states that not only does weight naturally drop off of the clients he’s helped over the year, but some client’s that were diabetic were able to get off insulin within the first month. Along with diabetes, this diet has helped lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, and made it possible for most of his clients on medications to no longer need them anymore. How awesome is that?! So pick up the book, read it and give it your own thoughts.
His guidelines for Eat to Live include:
UNLIMITED (eat as much as you want, or till you feel full)
- All raw vegetables (goal is 1 lb. daily)
- Cooked green and non-green nutrient rich vegetables (goal is 1 lb. daily) – which include eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes, carrots and cauliflower.
- Beans, legumes, bean sprouts and tofu. (goal 1 cup daily)
- Fresh Fruit (at least 4 a day)
- Cooked starchy veggies or whole grains. Such as butternut and acorn squash, corn, potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes, bread, cereal. ((no more than 1 serving or 1 cup a day)
- Raw nuts and seeds (1 oz per day )
- Avocado (2 oz max per day)
- Dried Fruit (2 tbsp. a day)
- Ground Flax seeds ( 1 tbsp. a day )
- Dairy products
- Animal products
- Between meal snacks
- fruit juice
He recommends doing this for 6 weeks but can continue to do it for the rest of your life if you’d like. . . Just stick to the 90%/10% rule.
*Only eat when hungry and eat till you feel satisfied
* Mix it up, eat a variety of different veggies, fruits and beans. Try new things.
* Salad it up! He recommends 2 salads or more a day. Include any and all veggies!
* Avoid caffeine and alcohol (obviously)
* Exercise daily
- My Superheros: Dr. Joel Fuhrman (happyhealthy365.wordpress.com)
- The Long Awaited Cookbook Companion to the #1 New York Times Bestseller (prweb.com)
- Strive for five fruits and veggies (rachellovesnutrition.wordpress.com)
- What is the Raw Food Diet (weight-loss-tips-and-secrets.com)
- How to Eat to Live (original7.wordpress.com)
- Let’s Get RAW: What’s The Deal Behind Raw Food? (theblissfulblog.com)
- Acquiring The Right Amount Of Fruit And Veggies Every Day Will Be Vitally Important For Maintaining A Sound Body (originalzxt.wordpress.com)
- 2 Reasons Why I Am So Lazy (ptmepersonalisedtraining.wordpress.com)
- My Humble Opinion on Nutrition (medicalrevolt.com)