So for some reason everyone goes straight towards cleanses at the beginning of the year, wanting to “jump start ” that weight loss or lifestyle change. Whether you want to choose something the celebrities are doing, (ie. Beyoncé and her Master cleanse), a juice cleanse, pill form, raw food cleanse… the list goes on and on… I would do your own research as to what you personally think YOU can commit to because nothing is worse than feeling like you HAVE to do something, and then in return hating it while your doing it.
Trust me I’ve done my fair share of cleanses, I did the Master cleanse as mentioned above and not only was it not very tasty, I felt tiered, down, angry, hungry and had constant headaches … did I lose weight? yeah a little, but it wasn’t worth all the pain I was having for those few pounds… It reminded me of those commercials you see on TV when they’re advertising a new pharmaceutical drug… “you may have allllllllll of these side effects” …haha. I remember finally eating some chicken and veggies afterwards and feeling so much better. Which is why I often question whether I need to cleanse or not. Now before I get into some pros and cons, I do know that your body is made to actually cleanse itself. How awesome is that, right?! … And without going into an anatomy lesson…I do believe that cleansing your body with food (REAL FOOD) .. none of this lean cuisine or roman noodle crap.. I’m talking veggies, fruits, lean meats.. your body will take care of the rest. If you put the wrong fuel in your car, it wont run right? Well your body is the same way. Put processed food, sugar and things its not genetically inclined to recognize as “food” its not going to really know what to do with it, how to process it to your advantage and probably wont make you feel as good as some fresh veggies would. That being said, yes health food can be a bit expensive.. But if I can last a week and have enough self-control on stupid cayenne pepper lemonade, I can last a week and have enough self-control to cleanse my body the healthy way. Along with most cleanses is a “diet” they recommend, and that diet usually is pretty clean =) so some find it easier to have it laid out for them too… so that could be a benefit.
OK on to the pros and cons!!!
- Some people feel its easier for a “fresh start” towards a diet, they feel cleansed of toxins and junk food they’ve been eating so that they have the ability to start.
- Some people also need that little beacon of hope with losing a few pounds to feel like they are on the right track too… with cleanses, they eliminate a lot of water weight too… But it gives them that motivation and momentum they need to step in the right direction towards a lifestyle change.
- Usually with cleanses they have a recommended diet, usually consisting of clean foods, this can re-set your taste buds and making veggies and fruits tastier. (love this aspect… I used to hate things like onion, grapefruit, and mango…now I love them)
- With cleanses or even clean eating, it introduces the idea of repetition and simplicity. You know what’s “allowed and not allowed” and it makes it easier for some to sick to their diet when they create a pattern of what to eat and when.. and then hopefully it slowly starts to become a habit.
- Rids toxins and junk in the body and can make you feel lighter, skin may clear up and mental fog may be gone.
- can help you feel refreshed.
- They can get a bit pricey depending on which ones you want to do
- They can make your grumpy, antsy, or even feel like crap if you do not consume enough calories while on the cleanse or do a fast.
- Cleanses can be awesome for fighting cravings … or they can be the doom of it all. If your feel like your depriving yourself (A. its probably not the right cleanse for you ….) you’ll be more inclined to binge, making the cleanse pointless.
- Many detox diets can have very few calories to them which will yes, make you lose weight, but in return mess up your metabolism and actually cause you to gain weight after your done with the cleanse.
So in conclusion, you know your body better than anyone else. If you like the ideal of structure and find that easier, Id say go for it. If you’ve done some in the past and hated every minute of it and possibly didn’t feel any better at the end…. then I think you may want to try something else. I personally prefer ones that are pill based so then you still get to fuel your body with food, not feel hungry and still get to cleanse your body.