So some people swore by it, some people are totally against it. So let me tell you how it can be amazing and work and you will never be hungry again and then I’m going to tell you in return, how it can have a negative effect and honestly probably hurt you.
The Good :
It is known that frequent smaller meals can not only curb those hunger pains we often get in between our average “3 meals a day” but also speed up your metabolism. Eating more foods (ideally cleaner foods) helps get you the nutrients you need and keeps your energy levels up as well . Here are some examples of how to do this correctly, and what is considered a “small meal”. Each meal (of the 6) should consist of a lean protein, Lower carbohydrate, high fiber, and low fat snack/meal. Always include veggies and fruits in at least 4 if not all your meals.
- Half of turkey sandwich on 100% Whole Wheat bread with light mayo or mustard. Side of Veggies and hummus.
- Big Spinach Salad with fruit and a tablespoon of almond butter on the side.
- Grilled chicken breast with steamed veggies
- Protein shake
- Lean meat with sweet potato and veggie
- Medium apple with string cheese
- Hardboiled egg on a slice of whole wheat bread. 1 half of grapefruit
- Lean meat with 1 cup brown rice and steamed broccoli and cauliflower
Key pointers: Make sure you keep your portion control in check and make sure you aren’t only eating a lot of one key nutrient (i.e.. Grains)
Eating 6 smaller meals can go back when you either don’t watch your portions (this isn’t grazing all day kind of diet its a cut your meals in half and eat them every 3 hours). Also, it can go back when you aren’t getting a balanced meal every time you eat. Make sure your getting the cleanest forms of foods ideally. You don’t want to have every snack you have to be a protein or granola bar, you need to mix it up.
Also if your eating out all the time. (cheeseburgers, fast foods and processed foods, ) these are not considered cleaner foods… If your eating these at every 3 hours, this will not work either.
Some examples of how this Wont work:
- Cheeseburgers all the time. With fries
- Granola bars and fruit bars for every snack
- Foods with too much sugar constantly throughout the day (gummy snacks, too much fruits with added sugar)
- Not a balance of nutrients (of anything)
- Too many sandwiches throughout the day or week. (mix it up!)
- Prepared Salads and meals at fast food chains (sorry but they are ideally not the best but ok when only in a time crunch or you drop your prepared meal or something.)
- Energy bars and drinks. Some are ok, but usually the ones everyone likes have more sugar than a snickers bar!
- Pre-made smoothies – your better off making your own.
- Sunday Success-Food Plan & Prep! (thevitalvegannutrition.wordpress.com)
- 8 Healthy Habits for Weight Loss (everydayhealth.com)
- Beyond the Boring Lunch Box: Awesome Lunch Ideas to Mix Up Your Routine (redtri.com)
- 10 Best After-School Snacks (everydayhealth.com)
- Jump Start Clean Eating Meal Plan! (Month 1) (fitandfablife.wordpress.com)
- Meal Plans (feelthebest.wordpress.com)
- Fitness Challenge Post #2 (rightdownmyalley.wordpress.com)
- Budgeting: Save Money on Food (quicken.intuit.com)
- The 10 Commandments of Healthier Eating (tsoip.wordpress.com)
- 5 Ways to Eat Healthy When You’re Super Busy (thedailymuse.com)