So cutting calories for weight loss is an ideal thing to do if your consuming too many (most Americans are), but here are some tricks and tips that may have you thinking your being healthy, when in reality they may be hurting you…. or helping you keep on the weight you want to drop.
- Picking poultry instead of beef– So yes, lean chicken and turkey are about as clean as clean eating can be but things like the ground up turkey for turkey burgers and such, often have the skin and darker meat ground in as well (things they don’t tell you- those bitches!). Darker meat has more calories when it comes to poultry by the way, that’s why whenever you read most diets, the often revolve around the breast of the bird since its all white meat. Where in retrospect, beef (LEAN beef), can be only 155 calories with 6 grams of fat, as compared to the ground up turkey at 205 calories and 14 grams of fat. *So how to fix– Look for labels that say lean (90%) on either one, beef or turkey.
- No fat at all! – I know they have had this on the news but there are still people out there that think all fat is bad, and that just isn’t the case. The way fat works is……… Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health.. It’s the trans fats, and saturated fats you have to avoid. Fat helps you stay fuller longer and it takes longer for your body to digest, therefore its a good thing because you wont be wanting food every hour on the hour. *So how to fix – Add good, satisfying fats to your food, think avocado, nuts, seeds, olive oil. Plus good fats add loads of yummy flavors! – say no to boring food my lovely’s!
- Think to yourself if your truly hungry – I have to do this sometimes because we get bored and out of habit, we eat. Its only human and natural to do that I think. But take a minute ( I like to drink a whole glass of water because sometimes your body is honestly just thirsty and wait about 10 minutes to figure out if I’m really hungry or not.) Take a deep breath and decide, if you are ..great eat a small healthy snack, if carrots and hummus or something along those lines doesn’t sound good, then you probably aren’t hungry and your bored. *So how to fix – find something else to take your mind off it. I like to pop some of that Deserts Extra brand gum in my mouth because it craved that sweet taste I’m looking for. They have all kind of flavors from root beer float to strawberry shortcake. I also go for a run, read a book, blog, play fetch with the dogs or even just watch a TV show… anything can help, you just have to find what works for you.
- Everything Gluten Free – Don’t get me wrong I personally love gluten free foods. But not all of them are good for you. Just because fruit roll ups say they are gluten free, doesn’t mean you should eat them – don’t, they are full of sugar hhahah. But a lot of gluten free products like take baking with a GF flour for example, its sometimes made with things such as white rice or potatoes.. or both (double whammy). – This kind of flour doesn’t have as much fiber and nutrients as a regular whole wheat flour with the same amount of calories and sometimes even more! *So how to fix- Look for products that are made with quinoa or brown rice, they are a much healthier option and still gluten free. I like Bob’s Red Mill brand personally.
- Sweet Drinks and Energy Drinks – OK… seriously? Do you really think that double espresso Rockstar is a wise choice for your health? Its full of caffeine (which your probably addicted to if you “need” it or it “helps you wake up and get going” in the mornings), not to mention full of sugar and just plan crap for your body. Do you think our bodies were meant to consume that??? Not so much. Also, most of those sports drinks are virtually calorie free, meaning they are full of fake sugar, even worse, your body doesn’t know how to digest that fake shit.. quit it. *So how to fix- Just stick to water, add fruit to it to make it taste better if you have to.
- Giving Fruits and Veggies a quick rinse – Yes you should wash them. And yes it does kill off the pesticides, but you have to wash them for long enough. Usually people just lightly dip it under the sink and call it good, and that isn’t enough. Most pesticides have shown to slow metabolism and even mess with your thyroid gland. So yea, you may be getting all your nutrients because you’ve added more produce, but it might be sabotaging your weight loss. *so what’s the fix – Wash for 30 seconds each time. Also you technically can buy organic (another reason why you want try to buy organic when you can…) but not have to worry about washing it because there are no pesticides used in growing it. I wash mine anyways just to be safe…and clean.
- Store Bought Smoothies- Yes they are healthier, but they may have as many calories as a cheeseburger- depending on which ones you get. They can have as low as 200 to as high as 1000. They add tons of fruit veggies but unfortunately, a shit ton of sugar (which usually fake sugar or syrups.) *So how to fix– Make your own and take it with you. They make serving size smoothie machines that make it super easy as a quick breakfast in the morning.. so you don’t really have an excuse A. not to make breakfast (because so many people don’t eat breakfast) And B. if your trying to loose weight and get healthy.. you need to be eating breakfast. Its just as serious as working out.
- Ice cream vs. Frozen yogurt- You’d think so, but it actually have about the same amount of calories and sugars. So how to fix – Make your own yummy healthy “ice cream” I posted a link below about some healthy ice creams on Bodybuilding.com and I also posted an ice cream that’s made out of bananas.
Bodybuilding – http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5-healthy-versions-of-famous-ice-cream-treats.html
Frozen Banana recipes – http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/1-ingredient-banana-ice-cream-10-flavor-twists/two-ingredient-banana-cookies-cream-ice-cream/
- Granola – Yeah it may seem so great with the oats and grains, your getting some good carbs right?? Wrong. If they didn’t use so mush sugar for one, but a lot of those little oats have added fats too to make it “granola”. But good news is that all granola isn’t bad and its super easy to make your own “healthier” version too. This goes for granola bars as well. Most granola bars are bonded together ..to make them a “bar” with all kinds of syrups and sugars. … And then some add chocolate into the mix too and then they almost become worse than some candy bars!! So… I’m sure you can make your own bars… (***OOO Striking a recipe challenge to post in future!) So how to fix – make your own! I attached a link below on some fun recipes to try. Also, When picking out granolas in the supermarket try to make sure sugar isn’t in the first 3 ingredients.. and I know its hard, but try not to pic the ones with all the candies in it. . . . its supposed to be a healthy choice, not desert.
Make your on granola!- http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipes.asp?food=granola&a=#topresults
- Anything with the word DIET- Just stop. You know what’s healthy, fruits, veggies and lean meats. Its really not that hard, so stop trying to “wiggle” your way around it and find ways to cheat. You either want to be healthy, or you don’t. Just because something says calorie free does NOT mean its healthy and you should consume it …much less all the time! Whether its soda, a “vitamin-enhanced” water, or even a diet drink (i.e.. Slim fast) if it had fake sugar… its not healthy. Just hear me out…. When fake sugar (sweet n low, aspartame. Just to name a few) enters your body it turns into formaldehyde, Formaldehyde is something scientists use to “preserve and protect”. ….. Ew. Think about it for a minute. Google it. Quit preserving your butt with diet soda ok. So the fix- Drink waters, add fruit to it to make it taste better of your getting boded, I think they do make carbonated waters now a days too if its the carbonation your craving …. but make sure there isn’t fake sugar in it.
- Bread Galore- Sandwich making has become a “fit” and “healthier option” when your on the go or at work. Well lets take the fact that people love their meat, so you know we either add a bunch of meat (Usually lunch meats, pre-package, and FULL of sodium) Or we get the Meat-iest sandwich we can at Subway. “Cold-cut trio me please!” Then we pile on the mayo, or sugar-laden salad dressings (because you know that don’t buy Organic and Natural brands!) Pile on the smallest amount veggies and a lot of cheese ….on a foot long. So the fix is – So when you do make a sandwhich on some Eziekiel bread, or Udis. … Some OTHER form of Healthy Bread, (how to pick a healthy bread- **coming up in a post soon!) to put your sandwich on. http://shop.udisglutenfree.com/ppcdo/search/google?gclid=CKuO-IbtlLgCFc1cMgodXUgAzA and please, make veggies the main part of it.