So I’m sure you’ve hear the saying “you are what you eat”…. Well guess what?! You are what you eat eats too! Meaning say you’re enjoying a nice piece of steak. Well whatever that cow digested ad lived off of is going into your body as well…. Makes ya think huh?! This is why there is a huge thing with things being organic and grass-fed is everywhere right now because people are wising up and realizing all the crap they put into our foods! So were going to talk about what some of those meanings actually mean, what’s the truth, what you can trust and what sounds healthy but .. in all honesty isn’t as healthy as you may think!
Grass- Fed : Meaning the animal was fed maybe only grass or its free to roam and feed as it would naturally if they weren’t caged. No grains when into feeding them.( i.e. corn, wheat, gluten)
Free-Range: Usually on chicken and eggs. Meaning it has access to the outside and is not trapped in a cage. Although living areas may be small. And sadly, they may have access to the outside, but the door to the outside could have only been opened for maybe 20 min, and then shut again. They can label that “free range” whether or not the chickens went outside or not. Sad but true.
Natural: natural doesn’t mean organic. Meats that are labeled “natural” aren’t inspected by a third party where as organic is. It is unknown if the animal is treated humanely, if they consume animal byproducts in their food, if they are given antibiotics, hormones or if they have access to the outside. Natural is about one of the most misleading labels there is out there. Better off looking for the Organic label!
Organic: Meaning they have no antibiotics, growth hormones or genetically modified organisms in their feed but it doesn’t address how the animals are treated throughout growing up but they usually are on family owned farms and NOT factory feed lots. So that’s a plus. =) Within their farm production they do have a annual third party inspection as well as access to pasture.
- The categories of organic meat and poultry (simpleresourc.wordpress.com)
- Paleo-ish in Chicago (broadwayandbelmont.com)
- Forget ‘Grass Fed’ Vs. ‘Grain Fed’ – Here’s The Only Debate That Matters To Your Steak (businessinsider.com)
- Grass-fed Super Burger (pamstacticalkitchen.com)
- Superstar Butcher Pat LaFrieda Explains How The Meat Industry Is Fooling Us With ‘Grass Fed’ Beef (businessinsider.com)
- What to Eat When You’re Broke (dprogram.net)
- Producers of grass-fed beef team to sell product (poststar.com)
- Paddock to Plate (thecranebrookarchie.wordpress.com)