Beans are super healthy. With many benefits like fiber, vitamin B, iron, protein and antioxidants…plus they are fairly affordable! You can add them to all kind of dishes like salads, soups, casseroles, stew and chili, and just as a side.
With their high fiber content, they will make you feel fuller longer leaving you full and satisfied after your meal and for a while afterwards. They are very low in fat and saturated fat, making them a more nutritious choice as a side with your meals.
They also say that the foliate in beans can help lower cholesterol, keep the heart healthy and even help prevent and/or lower your risk of diabetes.
They are also a great protein option for vegetarians and vegans.. or just to even have on a “meatless Monday ”
There are tons of different kinds of beans out there. Some include…
- Black eye peas
- Red beans
- green lentils
- Red lentils
- navy beans
There is more than the ones I named, but try some new ones you don’t usually have, find new recipes to try them in.
- 38 recipes for beans and lentils for superfood meals (treehugger.com)
- Sweet Potato Lentil Burgers for 1 (foodfitnessfolly.wordpress.com)
- Why are there peas and lentils in 15 BEAN soup? (lunaticoutpost.com)
- Beans and Lentils Recipes Healthy Food Recipes (healthy-weight-loss-made-easy.com)
- Meatless Monday (lizrpurdy.wordpress.com)
- Meatless Monday’s Protein – Black Beans (2cookinmamas.wordpress.com)
- Where Do You Get Your Protein!? (beathealth.wordpress.com)
- Beans (freshyeats.com)