So I was actually in a thrift store when I stumbled upon this book, thinking it was another book on health and fitness. I bought it right away! ….
When you look at the book, it doesn’t really clarify what kind of diet it actually is. it just says “a no-nonsense, tough-love guide for savey girls who want to stop eating crap and start looking fabulous!” …. sounds alright so far.. ok
Let me start by saying this… Skinny Bitch is not a diet book, its not your typical high protein low carb mumbo jumbo we always hear about. Its a vegan way of living and how to do so guide. I however didn’t realize this until I got into the book about 3 to 4 chapters when they start talking about dairy, eggs and meat. It doesn’t clarify anything about being a veganism book in the description, nor on the front of back. So if I was totally against being vegetarian or vegan, this book probably would have pissed me off. lol.
With that being said, I’m not against it at all and I love hearing other peoples views on nutrition always so I kept reading.
I think my favorite part of this book was the no bullshit way they lay it out. Now, being the potty mouth that I can be, I loved her tone she had throughout the entire book, very trucker like. This book is full of a-holes, f-bombs and much, much more. So if you’re not really into all that, this book would probably be very offensive to some. . . .
So all in all, here are some pro’s and con’s of what I thought of the book.
- The direct way they deliver things. They have no shame in saying it like it is.
- Their credibility, they cite everything they say with being prepared to back up their info.
- I’m not a fan of Adkins diet already, so they totally explain why this diet isn’t the best….. oh because your body needs CARBS lol.
- They do have a love for the environment, love for animals, and being healthy (which most vegans do)
- It exploits the government and how they have shaped our food to benefit themselves rather than our wellbeing. In Chapter 9 it gives some pretty good information about how dairy and meat farms really are which I think everyone should read whether or not you eat meat. Along with the cruelty that goes behind the slaughter houses and how your food really is treated before its “your food” I was just baffled about how things go down…..
- Its not just about no meat, no dairy yada-yada. They go into detail about sugar, fake sugar, caffeine, getting your body in the right pH levels and even pooping .. yes pooping… they cover it all baby!
- At the end, you actually start thinking about what you eat, where it came from, how its prepared … and all the above.. I don’t know if its the way they phrased it that made it so blunt .. but it worked for me.
- Oh! and if you were thinking … what the hell kind of butter is vegan? They give you a list of alternatives that can help with finding your “milk, cheese and burgers” that are all vegan friendly so you’re not totally in the dark.
- It can get a tad bit repetitive ..
- It talks about being prefect and perfection…. which isn’t possible and has taken me personally a while to learn.
- They seem to favor “vegan” articles and books when it comes to citing, which who blames them , it makes it easier to agree with someone who already agrees with you, but it would be nice to hear something from the other party too.
- It can be offensive to some with the language. With the .. “Caffeine is for pussies” p.15. “Because we are having so much fun let’s bash the shit out of Splenda” p.35.. “You need to exercise you lazy shit” p.20… so needless to say it can be a bit overboard and demeaning… but personally cried to myself in laughter.
- I love chicken, I can enjoy a nice steak…but I usually eat bison and wild game meat…. do I want it 24/7 now, not really, but yea I’ll probably continue to eat it every so now and then…. I also live with a few guys who hunt, so therefore, I get the” cream of the crop” because usually all the meat I eat is grass fed, in its natural environment, and /or killed at the very spot, non of this slaughter house, trapped in cages, beaten to death kind of crap.
- If you want to learn more about slaughterhouses.. watch meet your meat… its disgusting! and lets just say I found that movie right after I read this book.. lovely combo .. NOT. I was slightly mortified after that….
They also have a few more books too.